Sunday, October 19, 2008

For the Fish Lovers - Sardines Sandwich

I love fish...the fishier, the better. Take Mackerel, for example, most people don't like it because it's a very assertive fishy kind of fish, but I love it. Sardines is somewhere along that line, and when I had my very first sardines sandwich at Bread in NYC many years ago, I was hooked.

The sardines sandwich was served warmed with lettuce, tomato and a spicy mayonnaise on a baguette. If I remember correctly, they may have descibed it as Thai. That combination was so good that I had to complicate it at home (below is my recipe for the spicy mayo). In terms of the sardines, my friend told me that the ones from Morocco are the best. I shared my canned Moroccan sardines I brought back from Portugal with my fiance, and he agreed.



Above, Morrocan sardines and Spicy Mayonnaise


Spicy Mayonnaise
2 servings (for 2 sandwiches)

3 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon sriracha (Thai hot sauce)
a squeeze of lemon juice (or vinegar)
salt & pepper

No comments: