Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Once Upon a Tart

I'm a sucker for cute bakeries. I like enjoying a muffin or a scone on a nice day or on a wintery cold day with a cup of coffee or tea. When I see baked goods, I can be like a kid at a candy store. I want everything!

Once Upon a Tart is one of my favorites. The place is just the right size for quiet conversations, and there are also a couple of tables outside on a relatively quiet block. Their baked goods are always good and fresh...I have not had a muffin that you can tell was left out overnight (I have on several occasions at Connecticut Muffin).



Other than muffins, I also like One Upon a Tart's scones. Over the weekend, I had a Currant and Buttermilk Scone. I know the traditional scones are dry and more like biscuits, a perfect vehicle for jelly and cream. The scones in the US are usually more moist (no jelly/cream needed), and Once Upon a Tart makes a good version. Sadly, my fiance said their scones beat my scones. What can I say? I'm still a Martha in training.


The only thing Once Upon a Tart doesn't have though, is loosely packed tea. They serve Twinnings tea bags, which is definitely better than your usual Lipton, but I do enjoy a good selection of loosely packed tea. This was one of the reasons I liked Connecticut Muffin - they had Earl Grey, Darjeeling, English Breakfast... Hey, you can't have everything you want in life, can you? I think Once Upon a Tart is just fine. If I want the whole package, I'd head off to Alice's Tea Cup.

No comments: