Friday, March 28, 2008

Hooked on Gnocchi

I wasn't a fan of gnocchi until I had them at Jane. Their version was served with a gorgonzola cream sauce. Surprisingly, it wasn't heavy at all.

I had my share of dense gnocchi, so when I found and made Mario Batali's ricotta gnocchi recipe, I was hooked. My fiance likes them so much that he asks for it every time I go over his place to stock up his freezer with quick meals.

I wished I had a picture of the cooked little pillows of goodness to show you. Before you're ready to cook them, make sure you coat them with flour (pictured below) so you don't have a sticky mess. I just made a batch and popped them into the freezer. These babies will be waiting for my fiance when he wants a meal in under 10 minutes.

the uncooked little pillows of goodness, coated with flour

These gnocchi freeze beautifully. It may take some time out of your weekend to make it ahead of time, but I think it's all worth it. The sauces that you can make with these are endless: brown butter, tomato sauce, or for a heartier meal, saute with crumbled sausage and some onions. For the gnocchi themselves, you can just boil them in water, or take it a step further and pan-fry them to get them crunchy outside.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When are you coming back? I want some gnocchi too!

Martha Fung said...

Too bad it's got ricotta...what your other half hates!

Anonymous said...

FOR ME!!!! Who cares about him?