Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Fast and Refreshing Side Dish

I made some chicken with my Lapsong Souchong Spice Rub (and a braised pork belly for my fiance) and was looking to make a refreshing side dish using what I had in the fridge. I had an apple and a cucumber, so I thought of making a fast and simple slaw. It turned out to be exactly what I wanted...a perfect sweet and sour side dish served beside a smoky chicken and a fatty pork.


Above, Chicken Breast with Lapsong Souchong Rub, and Apple & Cucumber Slaw


Apple and Cucumber Slaw
Serves 2
1 apple, julienned

1/2 hothouse (English) cucumber, julienned
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon vinegar
small dash of salt


Toss the apple in lemon juice; coat well to ensure that the apple won't oxidize. Add the cucumber, then one tablespoon of the vinegar. You may need to use more vinegar, depending on your taste, so add half a tablespoon at a time afterwards until it is to the acidity you like.

Note: if you have a regular cucumber, you can use that instead. Make sure to remove the skin prior to cutting it. With a hothouse (English) cucumber, there is no need to remove the skin, as it is softer than a regular cucumber.



No comments: