Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Creative Use for Dumpling Wrappers - in Lasagna

I had some dumpling wrappers in the freezer left over from making Turkey Dumplings, and I was tired of making the same old Mushroom Pasta. While I was browsing through Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa at Home - a light bulb went off in my head. I saw a Portobello Mushroom Lasagna recipe, so I thought to myself why don't I just use the dumpling wrappers as pasta in the lasagna and use the mushroom sauce I made? I know it may sound weird, but it worked!


Above, Mushroom Lasagna made with dumpling wrappers


Using dumpling wrappers in place of lasagna pasta is perfect if you're not feeding an army. So in my case, I made 2 individual servings of lasagna - one for myself in a small ramekin, and another in foil sitting in a disposable container in the freezer for my fiance. I don't know if freezing the lasagna works, but I will definitely report the findings once it is consumed.


In terms of the filling, I made my usual sauce for mushroom pasta. It went very well with the bechamel sauce (essentially a thickened milk sauce) from the lasagna recipe. I love jazzing up my go-to recipes!


Above, the layers in the Mushroom Lasagna

No comments: