Monday, August 31, 2009

Shakin' Bobby's Burger Palace

I've been to Mesa Grill and Bar Americain and thought they were tasty experiences. So when Bobby Flay's empire expanded to NJ, I was a tad curious...only a tad because I don't eat beef. How else could I experience Bobby's Burger Palace, the latest Flay addition that was created to appeal to the common folks? Milkshake.

My husband tried their pistachio milkshake a while ago and has been raving about it ever since, proclaiming that it was by far THE best pistachio milkshake he's ever had. It's a pricey treat at $5 a pop for the equivalent of a tall drink at Starbucks, but I thought I should try it at least once.
We waited 10 minutes for the shake while they carefully shelled the pistachios in the kitchen one by one (sense my sarcasm?). Truthfully, the restaurant was pretty busy at 2:30 in the afternoon. Who wouldn't want to get a taste of the Flay starting at only $5.00?


The shake was sinful. I'm glad we shared one because I wouldn't have been able to finish one by myself. They have more than 10 flavors, with some of the more exotic being coconut and mango. There was no doubt that the pistachio flavor that we got was real pistachio...there were granules of crunchy pistachio nuts in the shake and it didn't have the neon green color like you seen with most pistachio ice cream. I thought the shake tasted more like almond than pistachio nut though.

To save some bucks, I think I'll make my own pistachio milkshake...grind up some nuts and mix it with milk and ice cream. Don't worry, I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments: