Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Step Closer to Martha

My husband and I have said goodbye to Boston and potentially hi closer to Martha Stewart's territory - CT. We have also explored Bedford NY (land of one of MS' homes), but it really wasn't my husband's cup of tea. In CT, we attempted to go to SoNo Baking in Norwalk (John Barricelli of MS' Everyday Baking) and Margot's Cafe (Margot Olshan of MS' Everyday Food), but it didn't happen. We will try again, I'm sure.

Instead, I did some research and heard a lot of the pizza from Colony Grill in Stamford. From what I can tell, it is an institution in the area due to the popularity of its thin crust pizzas. The restaurant is so popular and confident in its pizzas that it neglects everything else (using paper plates, keeping its dated decor, etc.). Many patrons rave about its hot oil topping, so we tried that, plus half anchovies (at the recommendation of an acquaintance) and half sausage. The appearance of the cheese on our pizza was very reminiscent of the horrible school lunch pizza, but I didn't let that sway me.



I have to say that it wasn't bad at all. The crust was thin like flatbread and perfect. The hot oil topping added a tiny bit of spice and flavor to the pie.


I didn't have high hopes on Stamford's food scene (and still don't), but I have become less of a cynic since my experience at Colony Grill.


No comments: