Friday, September 12, 2008

Turkey Meatballs

Yup, yet another post on cooking up a storm...

I remember how surprised I was at the tastiness of the first Turkey Meatball I made. Since then, I have been alternating between two recipes because I could not remember which one I had used initially. There was one from Food and Wine and another from William-Sonoma's "Best of Taste" cookbook I have. Each time though, I make sure I add in pine nuts (the recipe from William-Sonoma has pine nuts) - I love how the crunchiness of the nuts play against the softness of the meatballs. I toast the nuts first to release their flavor, and make sure they're not on the surface of the meatball when I roll them out (because they fall out easily most of the time).



Above, pan-fried Turkey Meatballs before hitting the freezer


Recently, I used the recipe from Food and Wine, and came to the conclusion that it called for too much parmesan cheese. The meatballs were moist but came out too delicate I thought...not to mention that the taste & texture of the meat got lost in the mix. I'll try out the Williams-Sonoma recipe next time...let me know if you want the recipe. I have to tell you though, that the recipe was not meant for turkey. But I thought the substitution worked just as well! And did I mention that these meatballs freeze beautifully too?

No comments: