Sunday, September 14, 2008

Steamers

This is the last of cooking up a storm...I gotta tell you though, my hands still smell like onions and garlic even a week after the back to back cooking.

Steamers...what can I say about them...they are one of my favorite seafoods. They are in the clams family. They are rather odd looking...something like a cross between a geoduck and a clam. They are not widely found on menus, but you can definitely find them at Legal Sea Foods. It was at Mary's Fish Camp in the West Village NYC that I first discovered these tasty clams, and I try to get my hands on them whenever I can. So when I found these in a supermarket, I had to have them. My fiance made these while I was busy making something else for dinner (I'm such a lucky gal!).

Above, a tasty steamer sitting on a bath of broth (the "sock" is on the upper left side)


To cook steamers, the process is pretty much the same as making mussels or clams. The eating part though, is different. They have a black sock over a body part that sticks out of their shell that you need to remove before eating. They call it a sock because it literally comes off like a sock. After removing that, make sure to dunk the meat in the broth to remove any excess sand. The work is all worth it - they are so sweet and I think, less fishy than clams.

Here's how to make a dozen steamers:

1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup white wine
1 dried bay leaf
chopped parsley for garnish
salt and pepper to taste


Clean the steamers by putting them in a bowl of water with some flour. I learned the flour trick from Ina Garten, who I regularly watched on Food Network...I tuned in and was hooked because of her - I didn't question if it worked, but I used it and never looked back. I usually let them soak for an hour.

Saute the onion and garlic over medium heat. Add steamers, white wine, bay leaf and salt & pepper. Cover for about 10 minutes over medium-low heat. Spinkle parsley and serve.

2 comments:

RAM Aquaculture Station said...

I live on the West Coast (of Canada) and am curious about the approximate price of these clams - both in the grocery store and in restaurants. I would like to compare the price to our local clams.

Martha Fung said...

Hi, I got mine at a local supermarket in Boston for $3.99 a pound...came out to about a dozen. At Legal Seafoods, you can order a bucket (with perhaps two dozen) for under $15. Hope that helps!