Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ricotta and Spinach Ravioli

I made raviolis enough for one serving with the left over dumpling wrappers from my Turkey Dumplings and ricotta cheese from my Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. The raviolis are freezer friendly and perfect for a quick meal on a week night for my fiance. I lay them down without overlapping them on a baking sheet and put the tray in the freezer. After about 30 minutes, I transfer them to a plastic freezer bag. I use this process for freezing everything to ensure that they won't all stick together.



Above, Ricotta and Spinach Raviolis just before they go into the freezer



I used Mark Bittman's recipe from How to Cook Everything for these babies. He's a New York Times food writer and a TV show host on food. To be honest, prior to me receiving his cookbook as a gift, I had never heard of him.

After going through his very thick bible, it is pretty clear that he tries to make recipes around the world accessible and easier for a home cook. The raviolis are an example - I had all the ingredients in my fridge to make the raviolis - spinach, nutmeg and parmesan cheese, they were easy to make, and with my shortcut of using dumpling wrappers, it was even easier!

I almost forgot to mention this - if you have any filling left over, you can toss them with some pasta in a pot over medium-low heat. Add some reserved pasta water if you have, milk or water if it's too dry. It makes a great sauce for your pasta dish.

No comments: