Monday, September 8, 2008

Carrot Ginger Soup

I used the ginger left over from my Spring Rolls, Turkey Dumplings and Hoisin Marinated Chicken to make a Carrot Ginger Soup. It was pretty easy - I just winged it since I couldn't find a recipe that matched my criteria: one that doesn't use cream and has fresh ginger in it. The result of my wing it recipe is a soup that has a rich orange color and a bit of nice mild heat from the ginger.



So I used my cookbook from Alfred Portale (the master behind Gothan Bar & Grill, one of my favorite places) as an inspiration - he has a Carrot Saffron Soup in there. I used the basic ingredients from that recipe in my version - carrots, chicken broth, parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Below is approximately what I used for 2 servings:

3 medium-sized carrots, chopped
1 medium sized onion, chopped
2 14oz. can chicken broth
3 sprigs parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 dried bay leaf
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onion in oil with some salt to taste over medium heat. Once they are slightly opaque, add in garlic and ginger. Saute for two to three minutes, then add the carrots and salt & pepper to taste. Toss them around for a minute or two, add in the thyme. Add the rest of the ingredients - chicken broth, parsley and bay leaf. Simmer for 35 minutes. Fish out the parsley sprigs and bay leaf. After the soup cools, blend it until smooth.

No comments: