Sunday, December 21, 2008

Inventive Dim Sum

There's the usual "ha gau" (蝦餃) and "siu mai" (燒賣) - shrimp and pork dumplings - in dim sum, and then there are the inventive items. I seldom see these in the States, so I was surprised to see these even in the suburban areas in Hong Kong like Chai Wan, where my grandparents live. Below are some examples:

  • Purple yam bun - I have never seen these before. For those of you who don't know, Hong Kong people love yam and taro. The color in the purple filling here was just amazing to see.



  • Scallion pancake - I have not seen this interpretation before. It was scallions stuffed in many layers of flaky goodness. Not bad at all.

  • Sticky Rice Wrapped in Taro - Taro is skillfully sliced thin like a sheet of paper and wrapped around sticky rice. Peanuts were added to the sticky rice for a contrast of crunch to the soft rice.

Beat that, United States dim sum!

No comments: