Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dim Sum Run Down: House of Canton

Housed inside the biggest mall in Hong Kong called Festival Walk (又一城) is House of Canton (翰騰閣), where we had dim sum. There were no push carts here; you check off the dishes you want so dim sum was made to order. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this place. Everything was great!

In fact, I had the best Malaysian Brown Sugar Sponge Cake (馬拉榚) here. It caught my attention at first because it was in an unusal dome shape. Usually, the cake is baked in a pan and cut into servings to be put into bamboo baskets. House of Canton's version arrived steaming hot in a huge dome shape and fit snugly in the bamboo basket. It was so light and airy. It was perfect.

Above, a slice of the dome-shaped Malaysian Brown Sugar Sponge Cake




And then I saw an interesting looking bun. It was a steamed custard bun ("lai wong bao" 奶皇包) that was fried. I thought I might give it a try because I haven't had it before. It was interesting to say the least. The custard filling inside was okay; I've had better elsewhere. Hey, it was worth a try.



Above, a Fried Steamed Custard Bun



Above, inside a Fried Steamed Custard Bun


There is plenty of shopping and eating to do in Festival Walk. Like everything else in HK, it is easily accessible by subway.

House of Canton (翰騰閣)

LG2-40 Festival Walk (九龍塘達之路80號)

Kowloon, Hong Kong

No comments: