Monday, July 14, 2008

Molasses Drop Cookies

My second batch of cookies were Molasses Drop Cookies from The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics. I had some molasses sitting around from a Pumpkin Tea Bread (yum!) I made a couple of months ago, so I figured I might as well use them to bake something else.


The Molasses Cookies were pretty easy to make. I noticed though that the recipe didn't use any spices, so I added a tablespoon of ground ginger and some cinnamon. This may sound odd, but I also diced up some dried mangos and added them to the batter (I would've used candied ginger if I had some). As usual, I used about 2 tbs less butter than called for, and a bit less sugar as well. It turned out well - the ginger added some subtle spice, and the mango went well with the chewiness of the cookies.

One tip about baking these babies - don't use insulated baking sheets. These baking sheets are insulated to prevent the bottom of your baked goods from browning too much or being burned while baking. I did one batch on an insulated baking sheet, and the cookies turned out flat; they didn't rise at all. Below is the recipe from the book:


Molasses Drop Cookies
makes 2 dozen


8 tbs (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2C packed dark-brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4C plus 2 tbs molasses
1 1/4C all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt
Granulated sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees on center rack.
In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 3 min).
Add egg and molasses and mix on medium speed until combined (about 20 seconds).
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the butter mixture. Mix on low speed until combined (about 20 seconds).
Drop 2 teaspoons of the batter on the prepared baking sheet and space batter 3 inches apart. Bake for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with granulated sugar, rotate the cookie sheets and bake for 8 minutes more. Rotate the sheets again and bake until the cookies are just brown around the edges (about 6 minutes more).

No comments: