Monday, June 30, 2008

Pinkberry, Yolato or Red Mango?

I finally tried all 3 frozen yogurt joints (Pinkberry, Yolato, Red Mango) that have popped up in the city. Like every one else, I was very intrigued by the idea of a low cal, no fat dessert topped with fresh fruit. Is it too good to be true?

My first experience was Pinkberry - I thought it was very good, but it didn't taste like yogurt at all. I finished my yogurt and left scratching my head. A couple of weeks ago, I did some reading. Turns out that Pinkberry, which claimed to be all natural, had used fillers in their yogurt. I believe I read this from New York Times, which reported that a lawsuit was just settled recently.

My second was Yolato. I don't know if it was because I had this after a rollerblading session, but it was so refreshing. Best of all, it tasted like yogurt. However, I felt gipped - they only filled the outside with yogurt. I took a spoonful off the top, and found that the inside was hollow.

My third and final one was Red Mango. I don't know if it was because I had this after my lunch, but it tasted very rich. I almost could not finish a small. But I do know that I got a better bang for the buck here - the inside was not hollow at all.


The fruit was equally fresh at all three, but only two tasted like yogurt. Based on my experience, if I had to choose, I'd go with Red Mango. If I'm desperate, I'd go for Yolato.

No comments: