Thursday, April 22, 2010

Repotting My Baby, Part I

I was so thrilled to add basil to my family that I've been keeping an eye on this little growing baby every day. After having it for more than a month, I noticed that it was starting to look sad. I had to get down to the root of the problem (pun intended).


The first obvious problem was that the leaves near the bottom of the plant were turning yellow.


I took a look at the bottom of the plant and don't recall seeing roots sticking out of the pot when I first brought it home. I had a hunch that maybe it was outgrowing its original home.


I called my sister, who I think is the other half of my being Martha since she's the avid gardener (and I'm the avid cook), so she can diagnose my plant. The plant doctor said yellowing could mean 2 things: over-watering or it has outgrown the pot. The fact that you can see its roots indicates the latter. I had a much larger pot lying around. All I needed was some soil from the good doctor, then we'll be good to go.


Stay tuned for my baby's new home!

No comments: