Friday, April 2, 2010

Dear America's Test Kitchen

Dear America's Test Kitchen,

I am a food enthusiast and a fan of America's Test Kitchen. I would be more than happy to be your Chinese fact checker, a person who I believe you need.

Sincerely yours,
Martha Fung



Tempting as it may be, I didn't send them a letter like that. I love America's Test Kitchen, but their latest Cook's Illustrated magazine put doubt in my mind. To me, America's Test Kitchen is the authority on putting science behind cooking, ingredients and equipment. I never thought they would get facts wrong. So imagine my surprise and disappointment when I found this on the back cover of the March & April 2010 edition of Cook's Illustrated:



Among the list of Asian vegetables presented was Chinese Broccoli (芥蘭), which is a leafy green vegetable with a tough but edible stem. Having grown up with plenty of Chinese vegetables, I knew that wasn't it. What was illustrated was Shanghai Bok Choy (上海白菜). Bok Choy (白菜) translates to "White Vegetable," which is the appropriate name for the illustration.

No comments: