Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Coffee Cake Muffin

I've been baking almost every weekend for breakfast...it's something special that hopefully shows how much I love my husband. I wanted to test out our new muffin pan and have some sour cream in the fridge, so I started hunting for a recipe on Martha Stewart's website. My hunt led me to Coffee Cake Muffin. For those unfamiliar with coffee cakes: despite the name, there is no coffee in them - they are simply meant to be enjoyed with coffee. Deceiving huh.


The sound of a cake turned into muffin form was intriguing. Add to it that it had John Barracelli's name on it (the baker behind SoNo Baking Co. in Norwalk, and best known for being under the Martha Stewart umbrella). I had to try it.

Turned out that the recipe was just okay...it wasn't mind blowing or spectacular. I thought the 1/2 tsp cinnamon called for in the recipe was just too little, so I doubled it. Other wise I would've had more bland tasting coffee cake muffins than that. I also added butter to the
streusel
to make it crumbly, the way my husband likes it. The muffins had the right amount of moisture, but I thought it was a bit too delicate for muffins. I think I'll keep on hunting.

No comments: