Saturday, August 30, 2008

Toro

My fiance and I were looking to have some sangria and tapas one night in Boston. After a disappointing experience at Tapeo on Newbury Street, we decided to try out Toro in the South End. Toro was a tad better, but they were both disappointing. They both confirmed my belief that food in NY is better than Boston.

Why was I disappointed with Toro? First off, Toro didn't even have sangria. Second, prices were not reasonable - for example, portions with the pinchos were literally bites, with prices that would take a bite out of your wallet. Third, the taste was just average at best - there was only one plate we liked of the seven items we ordered.

We started off with two pinchos - Ventresca (Spanish Tuna Belly with Tomato Tapenade and Celery Leaves) and Datiles con Jamon (Dates filled with Almonds and Cabrales Blue Cheese, wrapped in Serrano Ham). The Ventresca arrived on a piece of bread. Seriously, if I thought this was one biter, I wouldn't have paid $6 for it. It was okay in taste. As for the Datiles con Jamon, they were pretty salty...so much that I couldn't even taste the ham.

Above, Ventresca (Spanish Tuna Belly) - our one biter


For the tapas, we ordered Boquerones (White Anchovies in Vinegar and Oil), Croquetas de Bacalao (Salted Cod Fritters with Lemon Rings), Costilla de Buey (Braised Short Ribs with armagnac soaked prunes), Maíz Asado con Alioli y Queso Cotija (Grilled Corn with Aioli, Lime and Cheese), Mussels with Almond foam.


Above, Boquerones (White Anchovies in Vinegar and Oil)

The Boquerones were the only ones we liked...Croquetas de Bacalao would be a close second - the Lemon Rings were fried and an interesting touch). The Mussels were the worst thing we ordered - there was so much vinegar that it was close to burning my tongue. Costilla de Buey was just okay (I was told by my fiance as I don't eat meat). The Maíz Asado con Alioli y Queso Cotija was good but the corn was practically swimming in cheese. Oh, how I miss Cafe Havana's grilled corn. Nothing beats food from New York.



No comments: