Saturday, August 23, 2008

My One Staple in Boston

Food in Boston may not compare to that in New York, but there is one thing that I will always return to in bean town...ice cream from J.P. Licks. This local ice cream chain is like Ben & Jerry's except for that it is not national and mass produced for supermarkets...well, at least I haven't seen J.P. Licks in supermarkets yet.

J.P. Licks is a local staple in Boston. Its shops have a bohemian vibe, cows on the walls and a wide variety of flavors with funky names like Cherry Ortiz (cherry and chocolate ice cream) and Lumpy Primate (translation: banana ice cream with walnuts). Tonight, I sampled one of their flavors of the month - cucumber. What can I say, I am adventurous when it comes to ice cream. It was interesting...I didn't think it would work, but it did. The cucumber flavor wasn't overpowering like I had expected. It was surprisingly rich and refreshing at the same time.

Since I was sharing my ice cream, we compromised on a safer bet...cappuccino crunch - it had bits of toffee and caramel in it. I normally am not a fan of caramel, but J.P. Licks did not put too much of it in there, so I didn't mind it so much. Unlike Ben & Jerry's, the toffee chips are in nice small chunks. Yum.


No comments: