Friday, March 12, 2010

Curry Pot Pie

Curry Pot Pie may sound unconventional and weird, but it did not taste weird at all. In fact, my husband really enjoyed it. Believe it or not, Curry Pot Pie was my (double) left over creation.


I was sick of eating meat one night, so I took out my very fragrant curry powder and made a vegetable curry with potatoes, carrots and white beans. It was a satisfying meal when served over rice.

Two nights later, I shredded my left over roasted chicken and added it to the left over vegetable curry, got myself a pie crust recipe from Martha Stewart that didn't require shortening, wrapped it over my baking dish like a blanket, and voila, Curry Pot Pie. The flaky and crunchy crust was perfect against the creamy curry.

For the vegetable curry, I used the amount of curry powder for the spiciness I wanted. You can always adjust it to the intensity that you want, and add in whatever you have in your pantry to your liking (potatoes and carrots are a must for me, and fish balls if you're Chinese):

Vegetable Curry
Serves 4

1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 15oz. can beans (I wanted to use chickpeas, but used white beans instead)
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into medium dices
4 potatoes
, peeled and cut into medium dices
2 15oz. can chicken stock
1/4 to 1/3 cup milk (I prefer coconut milk, but didn't have it on hand)
salt & pepper to taste
oil for cooking

In a heavy soup pot over medium heat, cook
onions in oil until translucent. Add ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant. Add curry powder and cook for about 3 minutes. Add potatoes, carrots, beans, chicken stock and salt & pepper. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.

To thicken up the curry, smash some potatoes using the back of a spoon or a fork. Add milk to finish.
Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve over rice.


I have also made curry using chicken, and it's even more flavorful. Just brown some chicken thighs or drumsticks in the pot before starting this recipe. Remove the chicken from the pot, and add them back into the curry after you've added the chicken stock.

No comments: