Monday, September 14, 2009

Martha's Favs Mondays: Microplane

The second installment of "Martha's Favs Mondays," where I share the essential tools & equipments that I can't live without (or would like on my wish list), is the Microplane rasp grater. I used to use a vegetable peeler and a knife to zest fruits for cooking & baking before my Microplane days. Not anymore! It is such an energy and time saving tool to have in the kitchen. I've used it to make lemon ricotta pancakes, lapsong souchong tea rub, cranberry orange scones, broiled turbot fillet with bread crumbs, and the list goes on.


Image from Williams-Sonoma


The Microplane rasp was first developed as a woodworking tool, but is now mass marketed as a kitchen tool in all home stores. Their kitchen tool empire has grown from zesters, sea salt shaver, to all kinds of different graters. Although I am a Microplane fan, I don't have (and don't want) all of their tools. The only one I have is their rasp grater. I feel this is the only true one I will ever need. I've used it for zesting fruits, grating cheese and ginger root, and both applications work perfectly & beautifully. The other Microplane tool that I'm looking to add to my kitchen is their Box Grater...I just haven't decided between the Oxo or Microplane.

So contrary to what my husband may think, I don't want everything. Otherwise, I would collect all the Microplane tools (yes, even the ridiculous sea salt shaver)!

No comments: