Sunday, April 26, 2009

"Aha. Look What I've Created! I Have Made..."

...scones without a mixer!





Yes, it's possible! And I didn't even have a pastry cutter (I used a dinner knife).


I needed to use up all my fiance's butter, sugar and cranberries before he moves out of Boston, so I figured that it would be perfect to make scones. He didn't have all the equipment needed to make these guilty pleasures, but I managed anyways. Besides, this wasn't the first time I made scones without a mixer. It just took a lot more time and patience. That meant keeping the dough (and butter) cool while working slowly by popping it in the fridge ever once in a while.

I followed Ina Garten's recipe for Cranberry Orange Scones. It's not the traditional dry scones, this recipe is more like a cream scone. The only thing(s) I didn't do was use heavy cream and do the drizzle at the end. I figured with all that butter, it didn't need any more fat and calories. Plus, my fiance had only low fat milk. That worked just as well for our taste (and diet).




The scones weren't too moist or too sweet, so they were perfect with a bit of jam. Even without the proper equipment, I managed to make them crumbly as traditional scones are. This is another trusty recipe in my collection of cookbooks, and is one of the few recipes that I don't dare to enhance or change dramatically.



No comments: