Saturday, July 18, 2009

Egg Custard

I've been dreaming about egg custards since my trip last year to Macau. They are made from a mixture of eggs & sugar and baked in flaky pastry shells. Egg custards originated from Portugal, but that version is a lot more dense and sweeter than the ones I love from Macau. My cousins brought me to the most famous bakery in Macau that is known for their outstanding egg custards. Just look at their inventory of fresh baked goods!



The egg custards I had from Macau arrived to my table piping hot. The custard was so smooth, a perfect contrast to the slightly crunchy and flaky pastry cup that it delicately sat in.


There are also other flavors than the plain version; the bakery I went to had swallow's nest, which is a Chinese delicacy. Eating swallow's nest is supposed to be good for your skin. It was good, but I still prefer the plain version better.


It was so piping hot out of the oven that the custard was flowing like lava!

No comments: