Sunday, July 26, 2009

Cafe Boulud

My husband and I are on a restaurant week streak! This time around, we tried Cafe Boulud for lunch. Aside from the mostly senior citizen crowd, it was fantastic.

This is one of the few instances that I don't have photos to share from my meal. My husband didn't want me to take any pictures since the restaurant is a classy joint.


I had the Crispy Tiger Prawns to start, which was served with pineapple, cilantro, pickled jalapeño and Thai eggplant purée.
At first, I was worried at the amount of red onion I saw on my plate, but it was just the perfect amount! I didn't taste anything Thai with the eggplant, but I loved the combination of the saltiness of the eggplant and the sweetness of the pineapple.

Then came my Pan Seared Cod, served with mustard greens, caramelized onions, rustic potatoes and garlic-herb beurre blanc. There was no shortage of butter in this dish! The cod was hot off the pan and perfectly cooked (total opposite of what I had at Spice Market). I knew it was perfect when the meat bounced back a bit when I poked it with my fork. I loved the delicate texture of the fish combined with the crunchiness of the potatoes, which by the way, tasted like yummy home fries. The only problem I had with the dish was the over-saltiness of the mustard greens.

Meanwhile, my husband had the
Grilled Hanger Steak, served with wild mushroom polenta, green asparagus sauce béarnaise. He said it was perfectly cooked to his taste (medium), and the meat was very tender.

For dessert, I had the Chocolate Hazelnut Cake with praline ice cream. It was so rich in hazelnut that you can't mistaken the taste for anything else. My husband had the Vanilla Crème Brulée, served with poached raspberry, lady finger raspberry sorbet. I have never tasted such a light and delicate (but rich) creme brulee ever!

Run, don't walk to Cafe Boulud!

No comments: