Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wedding Wednesdays: "Bad Bad Bad!"

Apparently, we had picked a bad date on the Chinese calendar when we decided on the date more than 2 years ago. So, to my surprise (not really), my mother's reaction to our printed invitations was BAD.


It's bad because the actual date ("十三" 13), the date according to the Chinese calendar ("廿一" 21), the year 2009 and even the hour of day are all odd numbers, which aren't good because a wedding represents the joining of two people, an even number. This also relates to double happiness "囍", which is essentially 喜 (happiness) put together with another 喜.

In our defense, the Chinese calendar for 2009 had not been published at the time (precisely 2 years and 2 months ago). June ("六") is an even number, and so is Saturday ("六"), the sixth day of the week. On top of that, half past the hour is 30 minutes, an even number. So it ain't all THAT bad right? Like all things in wedding planning, it's hard to please everyone, especially when it comes to tradition.

Not only did this make me feel bad, I feel pretty bad physically...we had our engagement shoot (tiring!) and I had fried chicken & fries for dinner over the weekend, which made my stomach feel bad (sickening) because I have been really good with my diet. Bad bad bad...

No comments: