Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is an American traditional that we've never adopted. I did, however, make Thanksgiving feasts on two ocassions. One was because my dad got a free turkey from the supermarket. Another was because my fiance's family was out of town, and he had to have turkey of course - so I had to carry on the tradition for him.

I think there is one primary reason why we're not into Thanksgiving meals: the bird. No one is particularly fond of turkey in our family, especially when dryness of the meat is difficult to avoid when a sizable bird is roasted in the oven. Imagine the horror on my face when my dad asked me to cook a ginormous 15 pound turkey!

The one thing I enjoy on Thanksgiving is pumpkin pie. I just like pumpkin...whether it be in ice cream from J.P. Licks or pancake. I find one thing very troublesome about pumpkin pie - you can actually buy one from the supermarket for lesss than what it costs to make at home. What is even more troublesome is that my fiance can't tell the difference between a homemade pumpkin pie versus a Sara Lee pumpkin pie from the freezer aisle. So unless if I'm making a non-traditional pie, I don't think I'll even bother making one.

Anyways, back to the bird...I hope yours is nice and moist this year. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: