Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pancakes for Special Occasions

Yesterday, we celebrated my fiance's birthday early because I won't be around on the actual day. To start his birthday right, I made him Pumpkin Pancakes for breakfast. I usually make my pancakes from scratch, but I had a box of Aunt Jamima that I wanted to use up, so I jazzed it up a bit. It turned out great!



For pancakes enough for two people, follow directions from the box and add the following:

1/4C pumpkin puree
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
zest from 1/2 an orange
zest from 1/2 a lemon

Also, add a bit more milk to loosen up the batter because addition of the pumpkin puree results in a batter that's a bit more dense.
If you think adding the pumpkin may weigh down the pancakes, don't worry - they still come out fluffy. For an extra special touch, add some dried cranberries into the batter. Unfortunately, I didn't have any on hand, so I made the pancakes without them.

No comments: