Saturday, February 20, 2010

Popovers for a Low Key Celebration

My husband and I recently celebrated a low key 10yr anniversary with some bubbly, cheese, oysters and freshly baked popovers. I was first introduced to popovers when my husband brought me to a popover joint many years ago. Sadly, the place had closed down since.

The aptly named pastries are baked in specialized pans or muffin tins and pops over the pan once they're done. I found an easy recipe from Martha Stewart, and made half of mine savory and the other half sweet.
It didn't turn out bad at all for a first timer, except for that I didn't have enough batter for all twelve for some strange reason.

These delicate pastries are light - they are full of air pockets and can be filled with whatever you please. I believe when I had mine at the popover joint, it was filled with chicken, cheese and veggies. I'm not into filling them with such heavy ingredients, so I left the ones I made pretty plain. For the savory variety that I had baked, I added zest from half a lemon, freshly ground pepper and 1/2 tablespoon chopped parsley to the batter. For the sweet ones, I added 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon sugar.


They are best when eaten hot. Just imagine the wonderful aroma and the gentle steam escaping out of these babies when you bite into them. Yum!

No comments: