Sunday, May 10, 2009

Daisy May's

I'm not a meat lover, but according to my fiance, the carnivore, Daisy May's is on the top of his list (next to Dinosaur BBQ) for restaurants that serve great barbeque ribs in NYC. I had take-out from there before, but never stepped into the place. As soon as you step in, you see a lot of sides, cafeteria style...that really brought back some (awful) memories from the good ol'school cafeteria.

So, here's how it works: you go in, order what you want, pick up your food and proceed into the communal/cafeteria-style dining room, complete with a TV. I guess they figured that it's not a pretty sight eating ribs anyways, so why not make a very casual dining room - that way, no one would be embarrassed to lick their fingers.


We ordered some Kansas City Sweet & Sticky Pork Ribs, Memphis Dry Rub Pork Ribs, Tennessee Whiskey Beer Can Style Chicken, and a bunch of sides. I had a few bites of the ribs (that's right, I'm a convert now after my Hong Kong trip), and thought both types were good. I preferred the Sweet & Sticky ones better though - I liked biting the sweet exterior and into the meat. I wished I had more to say, but I'm not a meat expert.



As for the chicken, I've had it twice now, and I wasn't impressed both times. It had flavor, but was dry - I got half a chicken, and all parts of it was dry. End of story.


The sides were good, and the sweet tea was nice (a tad too sweet for my taste). I think I may prefer to have their ribs at home instead - I'm not a fan of cafeteria-style dining. The horror, the horror!

No comments: