Sunday, May 24, 2009

Cracking My Mom's Stuffed Peppers Recipe

My mom used to make the most delicious green peppers stuffed with shrimp. Sadly, she doesn't cook as much anymore, so I took it into my own hands...I tried to make them without asking for her recipe. The results? How do you think these look?




I've actually made these twice in my lifetime so far. I only made these recently because I needed to use up my fiance's large frozen bag of shrimp. You can use any kind of shrimp. Mine was u51-60 (51-60 per lb.) This recipe is fairly easy, and really tasty too. Make them bite sized so they're easier to eat and there's less chance of the shrimp falling out of the pepper. Serve them with rice.


Shrimp-Stuffed Green Peppers
Serves 2


1 lb shrimp, minced (preferably chopped by hand for better texture)
1 large green pepper, cut into 2in. segments
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbs oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame seed oil
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced
2 tsp warm water
salt & pepper
vegetable oil


In a working bowl, combine the shrimp, 1 tsp of the cornstarch, garlic, ginger and salt & pepper. Stir the mixture until it reaches the consistency of a paste. With an icing spatula or a dinner knife, fill the green peppers with the shrimp mixture. Make sure to pack tightly.


In a hot pan, add oil and make sure the pan is well coated. Add the prepared green peppers and cook about 3 minutes each side. In the meantime, add 1/2 tsp cornstarch to warm water. After the peppers are done, add the oyster sauce and cornstarch liquid. Finish with sesame seed oil. Serve hot.

No comments: